2010 JKR

KSJKR

Supporting Member
Warning-This thread will be pic heavy, lol!

Having spent a large part of the 90's and early 00's building a lot of different Jeeps for rock crawling and trail riding and spent a ridiculous amount of time involved with Jeep and 4x4 clubs. I got out of everything off-road in '08. Fast forward to '20 and the itch was back so I got a CJ5. I didn't do much with it other than just enjoy driving it. Last year my youngest son bought a '18 JLUR and on one of his visits we went to the local ORV park. That's all it took, lol! 1 afternoon spending some time behind the wheel of his and it was over, the search began. After pricing the JL's I knew a JK was the route for me. My requirements were pretty simple, a well kept 2 door Rubicon. Very capable off road and well mannered for daily driving, at 56 I had no desire for a full on project as hardcore rock crawling isn't what I'm after this time. Daily driving, trail riding, some rock crawling, and possibly some overlanding are more in the line up this time. After a lot of searching I finally found my '10 JKR, a well kept, 2 owner, Rubicon in stone white with all maintenance records back to the original owner. With just over 100k miles it fit the bill perfectly. High quality soft top, already done, 2.5" lift, already done, aftermarket bumpers, already done, sliders, already done(I'll be changing these out though), 35" AT's, already done, flat fenders, already done. Even with all that, there's still plenty to do.

Both my sons have Jeeps, the oldest has a '00 XJ, the youngest has an '18JLUR and his wife just got a '21 Gladiator Mojave. The past few months have been busy prepping for a Badge of Honor trip to Uwharrie Natnl Forest in 2 weeks. Everyone is driving their Jeeps, no trailers, for us it's looking like around a 4000 mile road trip, so I've been busy prepping for it.

The day she came home-
IMG_3392.jpg

I always carry a fire extinguisher-
firexting.jpg

The cloth seats were in good shape so I wanted to keep them that way, time for neoprene covers-
IMG_3388.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

With me being 5'8" and my wife a whopping 5' even, grab handles were in order, lol!-
grabhandle.jpg

Since Kansas gets all different weather I wanted something easy to clean for the front floor-
IMG_3382.jpg

Can't have an empty winch mount on a bumper!
IMG_3421.jpg

After figuring out that the actuator motor for the electronic sway bar disco was shot, I opted for JKS disco's, no way I'm spending almost $2k on a motor!
IMG_3468.jpg

I know it's silly, but not having the Rubicon sticker on the hood bugged me so I added vinyl in the JL font-
IMG_3432.jpg

The factory hood latches allowed for way too much hood flutter so I tossed on something better-
IMG_3650.jpeg

No doors is awesome, no mirrors is not-
IMG_3606.jpeg

Let's make airing down easy, set up for 12psi-
IMG_3689.jpg

This one was kind of a crap shoot, I wanted a compressor to easily air up, but I didn't want to hard mount anything or spend the money for an ARB, 12 to 36 in about 3 minutes-
IMG_3688.jpg

Everyone knows the stock headlights and fog lights leave a lot to be desired so LED's it is-
IMG_3661.jpeg

IMG_3654.jpeg

This one proved to be a PITA. Between ordering the wrong ones at 1st and blowing out my back installing the correct ones it was a crappy ordeal. But, it's done and I also installed new unit hubs with the Teraflex chromoly's.

IMG_3695.jpg

I always try to take the needed tools with so a do it all tool bag was needed-
IMG_3666.jpg

Damn near forgot a provision to secure the sway bar when the disco's are removed. I went to the local Wally World and grabbed some poor man footman loops-
IMG_3700.jpg

Comms was one of the final pieces. With CB's waning it was time to get my call sign and dive into GMRS radio. I went with the Midland MXT275VP4-
IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

Added a Bulletpoint cell phone mount as I that's what I'll be using for navigation since the factory system is just not what I want to use-
IMG_3665.jpg

Not a bad "command center" for now, but it will be improving over time-
IMG_0834.jpg

I have one more goodie bag that goes with but isn't pictured for my 1st aid kit, Flashpaq, FRS handhelds, flashlights, and batteries for my 1/2" impact. It's a constantly evolving process so there's definitely more to come!

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp and KSJKR
Nice Jeep. One thing about your electronic sway bar disconnect .
EVO makes a manual knob that goes in place of the electric motor .
https://www.northridge4x4.ca/part/1087-evo-manufacturing-nolimits-manual-sway-bar-disconnect
JK Gear & Gadgets makes his own , similar to the EVO.
https://youtu.be/fL_7PdtfVh8P
Pretty cool option and don't have to worry about unreliable electric motor or messing around with quick disconnects .
Definitely like this option, while I do love my JK, I'm not a fan of all the electronics that come with it, lol! Thanks for the links!

Reactions: Speartip and mrjp
With work being swamped(good problem to have, lol!) I finally had some time for a couple upgrades in preparation for our Windrock trip 😎 Since we're leaving this Wednesday morning I better get my poop in a group, lol!

The stock head unit was dying a slow death so I upgrade it to a Kenwood DNX577S (Crutchfield). I also hated the cable mess so I added another Bulletpoint mount to relocate my GMRS mic to a better spot and re-routed the usb cable through the upper tray to keep that part somewhat tidy.
IMG_1391.jpg

I wanted more aggressive tires and I really don't care for wheeling aluminum rims so I went with cheap steel wheels(3.75" BS) and 35x12.50x17 Nitto Mud Grapplers. I've run them on a rig in the past and really liked them so we'll see how I like them on a JK. I did gain a little bit of width compared to the aluminum/Yokohama set up, I'm good with that, lol! While there's still a fair amount of tread left on the Yokohama's, the plan is put them back on after the trip and use them for daily driving and switch out to the Nitto's for wheeling.

IMG_4406.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4409.jpg

Now to get this trip underway! Our youngest and his family are meeting us at Windrock in their JT Mojave for a few days of wheelin😎