2.5" lift, 3.0 caster, do I need lower control arms

Skyler76

I posted a prior question about replacing a rc lift. I thought before I threw it in the trash I should at least get it aligned.

Alignment now done and after 45mph the jeep feels dangerous, impossible to keep straight. Wondering all over the place. Caster measures 3.0/3.1, everything else in spec.

For reference -
RC 2.5" Coil Lift
Adjustable track bars front and back
Drag bar links replaced (were shot)
Ball Joints Replaced
RC Steering stabilizer
Adjustable sway bar links

Wondering if I got my caster to 4.5 (or there abouts) with adjustable control arms if it would make any difference or am I barking up the wrong tree and something else is wrong?

What size and type of tires? What air pressure are you running? Not sure if the lift height is doing it or not, we have a AEV 2.5” lift on two jeeps, netted just over 3” lift and no caster correction brackets and don’t have any issues. We have 32” and 33” tires on them.

If I remember the bottom holds the axle centered correctly (front to rear) and the top is used to adjust the castor. @BLACKJKU or someone else might be able to confirm that. If so your top control arms are a little too long. I would shorten both top arms by an inch and test drive and if good or better get another alignment.

Reactions: Duster
Did they give you a printout of the alignment? Not all places are good at doing an alignment on a 4x4... or even just doing alignments. I had to take mine back to the place after they 'aligned' it and the steering wheel was at 1 oclock when driving straight.

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp
I have the same issue. I’ve got a 3in jks lift. But still have factory control arms.. alignment shop told me
I need dual rough country SS for fix my wandering steering…
C4FA19B1-C1D1-4204-B784-BB9DE88462B4.jpeg

I have the same issue. I’ve got a 3in jks lift. But still have factory control arms.. alignment shop told me
View attachment 122239
Typically anything in excess of a 2.5" lift will need adjustable control arms because the lift is then creating geometric challenges to your drive line, suspension and steering.

Reactions: Speartip
View attachment 122239
🙄🔫 The shop is wrong. Spend a little more than a dual ss setup and get adjustable arms. You need to fix your caster not your steering dampening. All a dual ss will do at this point, is mask the actual problem for a short time. Then you're back to where you started.

🙄🔫 The shop is wrong. Spend a little more than a dual ss setup and get adjustable arms. You need to fix your caster not your steering dampening. All a dual ss will do at this point, is mask the actual problem for a short time. Then you're back to where you started.
Thanks.. i may go with the one piece jks relocation bracket for the arms. Till I can afford to get them

JeepJeezy is spot on. I tried this. Actually felt really odd and worse than without it. I ended up buying a metalcloak lift with control arms included, yet to fit it but i have high hopes.. my bank account is not happy. Lots of folks use those relocation brackets. Probably a wise choice, I was just so done with the sloppy RC shocks too that I decided to scrap the whole kit and do it "properly". Hoping I made the right choice.

Yeah, I’ve got fox shocks on it but the ss is factory.. I hope the brackets work. A buddy suggested metalcloak upper adj controls for me. Said they would be short enough to to fix my caster? Idk . Imma hope for the best with the brackets. Just ordered so I’ll keep y’all posted.

Well I installed the MetalCloak lift a couple of days ago. Wow. Quite amazing difference compared to RC. No steering issues, no wallowing, jeep feels solid. First off-road tests will be tomorrow when I take her hunting for my first day this year.

So wait, you installed the lift or had a shop install the lift AND align it too, correct?

Im very curious as to the flow of how this fantastic outcome was achieved. Because there's a lot of shit lifts that still ride straight. Id just like to know exactly what fixed it. It would seem obvious it was all the new adjustable arms.

Btw, glad it worked out. People hate on MC but I find some of their products interesting yet hella expensive!

So wait, you installed the lift or had a shop install the lift AND align it too, correct?

Im very curious as to the flow of how this fantastic outcome was achieved. Because there's a lot of shit lifts that still ride straight. Id just like to know exactly what fixed it. It would seem obvious it was all the new adjustable arms.

Btw, glad it worked out. People hate on MC but I find some of their products interesting yet hella expensive!
I installed the RC lift, then had it aligned. Shit result. I removed the RC lift and installed MC lift with Bilstein 5100s, no alignment and thus far the jeep is a completely different beast. Super happy with the result. I am sure that the caster was the main culprit, the MC control arms fixed that (adjusted to their spec for the lift that put me in the correct ballpark), the RC shocks and springs felt that like total crap too. I had out of spec (according to RC) droop on the rear springs, so much so they sent me new ones that I never installed. My only gripe with the MC lift kit is that the trackbars aren't adjustable unless disconnected. So you can't just on the fly adjust them which makes the axle centering a bit of a pain once the vehicle is on the ground. That said, you do it once and I guess it's that way because the design is way more solid that way.