08 Manual - "Furry" Bell Housing - hard material

jenisjeep

2008 Jeep JK

Manual transmission

Bought this last Fall and put in the garage for the winter. Probably has about 1,000 miles on it since then. Would pop out of first occasionally but figured we weren't engaging the clutch enough.

While on the highway the other day, shifting from fourth to fifth, couldn't get it to go in gear.

Towed it to a friend's house. He snapped a few photos. What exactly am I looking at?
bell housing.jpg
opened up.jpg

Last edited:
The pop out of first is a feature for the six speed, doesn't happen often, and scares the hell out of you when is does.

That looks like fiberglass, and I don't know enough about transmissions to go farther than that.
Keeping the thread at the top though.

My apologies for not being clear enough. It's definitely not real "fur". Does not / did not ever belong to an animal. It's hard shavings. Like someone sheared.

Definitely not mice/rats although I did ask my friend "did you find a possum in there"? It certainly looks like something was living in there but it's definitely something from the Jeep.

I don't remember seeing a opening big enough for a critter to get into that area, it could be clutch material.

Clutch plate shavings would be my first guess. The popping out of first and then not shifting at all certainly sounds like a clutch problem when paired with those images.